Thursday, June 11, 2009

thankful thursday

Today I was realizing how incredibly thankful I am for music. It has always been a part of my life, and it just makes everything better. It's amazing how much easier a day at work is when I can listen to music. I am in a better mood, and I have just enough distraction to stay focused on my work (sounds like an oxymoron, I realize...). I am fairly eclectic in my musical tastes, and a lot of what I listen to depends on what i'm doing, who i'm with, and what kind of a mood I am in. I'm thankful that there are so many brilliantly talented musicians who have given us the gift of their music...and that there is such a wide variety of styles to choose from.
There is a quote that basically epitomizes the way I feel about music...
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" ~Berthold Auerbach (he was a German author in the 1800's) Music invokes passion, feelings, thoughts, ideas, prayers, and sometimes it speaks deeply to the soul. I appreciate music that has something to say, and sometimes that doesn't even require words.
Music is one of the ways in which I most deeply connect to God. It is evidence of an awesome Creator, and I am thankful for the daily reminder. I love beautiful scenery, and wonderful food, but there is nothing that grabs me like listening to an extremely talented singer or instrumentalist. There is just something about music that heals my soul and reminds me of God's love for me. And for that I am thankful.

No comments: